The wholly privately owned Kexgill Group who also operate the University Quarter® brand won the coveted Investor of the Year at the Student Accommodation Awards held in London. This is the 5th win in succession at the awards for the longstanding European student investor and operator who are largely under the radar in the market.
2022 saw Kexgill Group:
- Expand in Liverpool and Nottingham with various purchases including one from Unite. All purchases required refurbishment and remodelling. In addition, modernising existing stock, infill purchases and planning approvals for more development on land already owned.
- Co-found The Green Room Project™ with the University of Hull. This has had far reaching sustainable outcomes and will be repeated in 2023. It featured on BBC and ITV news and was the main theme in various conferences and was a RICS Sustainability finalist.
- Incorporated co-working spaces for non-tenants into its latest designs set for completion in 2023.
- Successful university and local authority collaborations including paying for traffic calming measures in busy roadways leading to campuses and on street CCTV promoting safety for students.
- Embraced the international postgraduate market with full time International Communications and Partnerships Officer. Links to local churches, arranging of airport transfers, Cultural Gala’s and familiar food via their own outlets (Kiosk).
Group Managing Director of Kexgill Group comments on lessons learned in Germany:
“Owning part student occupied assets in Germany can make the investments remote and the perception of tenants is those UK based landlords don’t care. Dispelling the ‘greedy’ landlord notion takes effort. Regular interaction and ‘live in’ caretakers, changes the entire buildings performance.”Richard Stott, Group Managing Director, Kexgill Group
As an investor, Kexgill Group are motivated about the student experience – not just a spreadsheet yield. Bricks and mortar are only part of the picture notwithstanding significant year on year increases in Net Asset Value.
Kexgill Group are considering their options for the next chapter of growth which may include inward equity investment. Currently, the Group have a full programme of self-funded expansion doing what they enjoy – ‘hands on investment’.